RSS

Pages

AT mum's

Today is my weekly visit with baby to my mum's. I'm amazed that after a week, baby Keziah actually knows it's a different place and refuses to take her noon nap eventhough she is tired. She would nap for 5 min after placing her down on the bed and start to wail again. She would be comfortable sleeping on the shoulder but not the bed. Guess it's security. It's not her feeding time yet so it's the persistence of putting her to bed. This cycle repeats itself for 4-5 times before she finally settles down for a 30 min nap till her due feed time. How smart babies are! On the other hand, they are rather forgetful and easily out of their comfort zone.

Nonetheless, it's alot more relaxing for me with someone else to play with her rather than me. I can have some peace of mind to express my milk and surf the net. Heehee..She's a playful gal and loves to engage in talks and fun more now. Looking at her wave her hands and kick her legs and for once I saw her kinda holding on her own feet to play today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joan,

saw your post on singaporemotherhood.com. I know it can be stressful, these days it's also getting increasingly difficult to get Shawn to sleep in the day. I v stressful and tired myself. For Keziah, I think she is more aware already and doesn't want to sleep other way besides being carried. This is where u need persistence in training her to sleep in other ways... it will pay off eventually (you can't continue to carry her when she's 10kg?!)

I strongly recommend that you get the book by Tracy Hogg called the Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. I find it v useful... many of the Singaporean wives here follow her 'teachings' too. She recommend the shh/pat method - you put the baby down on her crib, prop her on her side, pat her back firmly and shhh at the same time. I tried it with Shawn and only succeeded in getting him to sleep once. It depends on the baby lah. Every bb is different... many resist naps and you are not alone. According to the babywhisperer forum, it's a developmental thingy and should get better after 4 mth. I still do the shh/pat mtd but differently lor... by lying on the bed with him...my scent calms him down i guess.

Besides that, he sleeps in the sling too. You tried the sling? Does it work for Keziah? They will cry initially for 5 mins or so, when put in the sling, but you should continue to move and pat her, she should settle down. Should do this while she is still young, else next time she won't want to sleep in the sling. Shawn cried in the sling when I first tried it, but the wives here asked me to persist and it works well now. fortunately for me as it's my lifesaver!

Anonymous said...

oh yah, and on the poop thingy, I have asked my pd, and she said it's ok. Shawn's poop at every diaper change, which means 6-8 poops in a 24hr frame.